Wednesday, March 17, 2010

SketchUp, my Dumb Friend, meet Revit

I remember being told it was possible to put SketchUp files into Revit when I first began using Revit. However, for the last two years I was never able to get this to work. I always got error messages. Miracle of miracles, the other day, I actually got it to work. I don't know if a bug has been worked out in SketchUp or Revit, or if I was just doing it incorrectly in the first place, but either way I got that SketchUp file into my Revit file!

Here's the method. Go to the 3D warehouse for SketchUp and download the file you want. Depending on the complexity of the file, it may or may not work, especially if the file is very large or if it was made in a way that Revit just doesn't like. I downloaded this couch.


There are two different ways to put it into your Revit file and it's the same process as making a component. You can either make it into a new Family file or you can do a "Create in Place." I'll start with making a new Family file.

Go to file, select new, select Family. I selected "Furniture" from the list of categories. Then, go to File, select "Import/Link", select "CAD Formats", change "Files of Type" from DWG files to SKP files (SketchUp files) and select the file you just downloaded.


Depending on the nature of the object, it could have a lot of lines. This is especially true in objects that are convex or curved. Look at the puffy pillows in the couch I downloaded. It ended up with a lot of lines. If you turn on only "Shading" it will get rid of the lines, visually at least. Also keep in mind that the items you download might be way out of scale. There isn't a scale command in Revit like the one in AutoCAD.


Next, you can hit save, hit "Load into Project" (or load from the components button) and it will appear in your project.

By doing the "Create in Place" instead of creating a new family, you can get the object into your project file, but it will not have it's own individual file. It is most common that these objects cannot be edited within Revit, so it makes some sense to just put them in the project file. You can do the same thing with AutoCAD 3D files and from my experience, those work out a little better. 

I used a SketchUp model to put this in my senior project. 


It's a bear! I really wanted a dinosaur, but I haven't found one that works yet. Either way, I could never make a bear in Revit. 

3 comments:

  1. There is a Scale command in Revit, and you can rescale imported objects like this sketchup file. You need to pick the scale tool, then pick a base point, and a reference point. Then either type the new distance, or drag the cursor and pick to enter a new distance.

    Curves and curved objects are a sketchup issue. Sketchup doesn't draw a true curve. The Sketchup display approximates curves and displays them, but geometrically they are all faceted. That's why when you import to Revit, or any other graphics program, the models are faceted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still not getting the scale command. I've encountered the resize command, but that doesn't work on elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason you're getting an error message is that Revit doesn't like later versions of sketchup -- if you downsave it in sketchup to SU6 or earlier it should work just fine. The one you downloaded that you got to work was probably an earlier file, hence why it worked.

    ReplyDelete