Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thanks, Stan

The question I am asked more than any other is this: How did you get so good at Revit?

Well, this has a multi-part answer. First of all, it was luck. I was "lucky" enough to learn Revit in both my Arch Graphics and Arch Design classes. I didn't plan for it. I was a transfer student who had practically no idea what she was signing up for. In fact, I remember Stan Goetz saying on one of the first days of class, "I think we're going to do the group projects in Revit," and I immediately thought, "What the hell is Revit?"

So, I learned through those classes and I learned through research and teaching myself. I also learn a ton by teaching other students. Today, I did a demo in Interiors I. The students asked good questions and were interested to learn. The problem is, they have little to no prior experience. I've gotten the impression that it is being taught sporadically amongst the Arch Design and Arch Graphics classes at this point. The concern is that when you get into the job market if the firm only uses one program, they might choose someone who knows the program over someone who doesn't. There are many other extenuating circumstances, but in some cases, it might come down to that.

Of course, I don't know how to use SketchUp. Something else I need to learn. Ugh...I hate SketchUp.

No comments:

Post a Comment